Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Nations

Many have asked if I have found a ood church to attend. The typical response I have heard from people who have been over in SoKo, it takes several months to find a good church taht you can just "be a part of" and feel
connected" with. Being back home in Augusta or even Toccoa, I had grown accustomed to the southern hospitality and welcoming spirit that goes along with Providence Baptist and Ebeneezer Baptist [Toccoa]. My family and I have been members of our church in Augusta for 14+ years and have seen our share of people come and go from the church. One of the top reasons people are drawn to Providence is that the people are very friendly and are always welcoming. I, for one, have taken it for granted up until this point.

Being a westerner/foreigner from America- you get stared at often and there are very few people you can have an actual conversation with. Many Koreans here speak very little English. In fact, the prominant members in Korea that speak English are the younger generations.

When I came over, my friend Kristin [bubbly red-head that I went to college with and lives in Daejeong Korea] invited me to come to her church, Jubilee Church. This church would be about a 1.5 hour ride for me with the connecting buses/subways. I would gladly make the commute if it was a good church that I felt lead to be a part of. Recently- Rhonda has been going to a church [the Nations church] in the neighboring town of Suwon. All of her stories really had me curious and loving the closer distance.

Walking through the doors to the church, I was automatically introduced to five church members. Rhonda must have introduced me to the whole church congregation. Because she is so heavily involved with the Nations, I was along for the ride and gladly helped out where I was needed. The church runs like it has been around for years- when- infact- it has only been open for about 4-ish years. Roughly, there are 6 members attending that are predominantly foreign english speakers. The reason the church got its name is merely because the church is representative of Jesus' global ministry. The Nations church has members from UK, USA, Canada, India, Rwanda, Austrailia, SoKorea, and Japan. What a blessing to see believers from all cultures come together in the bonds of Christ and worship. Beautiful.

ps- theyve already talked to me about being a part of the young adult ministry and possibly being a part of the welcome team ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment