Friday, May 14, 2010

Living for the Weekend


I am coming close to my 1 month mark here in South Korea and it still feels like Ive only been here for 2 weeks. I am still pegged as the "new guy" around here and I am still lost when it comes to transportation. My memory skills have been adapting to the numerous bus numbers that I can take to varuious cities. The creative juices have been flowing here lately since Brandi sent me some teaching goodies to put up in my classroom. Some people have asked: "what can I send you Josh?" Honestly, I enjoy putting things up in my class/ enjoy coffee and tea/ commodities such as deoderant and soap rock.

Brandi sent me a pack of 365 stickers and my kids went wild. We use stickers as incentives over here in my classes. In the such case where my classroom gets messy after an arts and crafts activity- I pinpoint a kid who seems like they are in need of a little something extra- point to different areas that can use some TLC- make a public spectacle of their good behavior by giving them an "AWESOME STICKER" from Josh teacher's sister in USA. Kudos Brand-o.

I printed out pictures of some of my toccoa fam and real fam to post in my classroom and my 8-year olds think its awesome that I have such a big family. The enjoy seeing Luke, Brandi, and Garrett. Luke is always acting like a fool. Brandi has big hair. Garrett is my nephew and is a teenager.

"JOSH TEACHER IS AN UNCLE, YES?"

I am starting to get the teachers and some of my church friends together on weekdays to start enjoying company outside of tjust the weekends. People around here dont believe in hanging out on weekdays and just enjoy work. working out. eating. and sitting in their room. I am venturing to bring them out by having parties. Ali taught me that mediums like coffee/tea/food being people together and can serve as a common bond between different peeps. SO TRUE.

This past weekend, a couple of friends and I went to the fortress in Hwaseong City and were able to hike arounnd its outer wall, scale parts of the moutain, and participate in various activities within the fortress walls. We lucked up when we entered the fortress because we got set up with an English speaking tour guide. Him and his friend showed us around the fortress and shared tales. The king who lived in the fortress imagined a city being built within the city walls. There is a big chunk of Suwon [the city I hang out in] that is guarded by the fortress walls.
It was awesome walking in the paths of royalty.
THe fortress offered various activities for the tourists to participate in. Paul and I dressed up as members of military while Toni and Rhonda dress up as queens [they wore headpieces that must have weighed 20 pounds].
More pictures are available on my facebook

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your kiddos LOVE you! Do they really call you "Josh"?

    ReplyDelete