Monday, July 5, 2010

Cowpies at the Supermarket


Birthdays are always my favorite. While my birthday fell on Monday this year, nobody can celebrate on a weekday- ESPECIALLY IN SOKO. ON Friday, the kiddos at school found out my birthday was coming up and there were rumors that they were going to bring me something. Nice sentiment but we cannot recieve gifts at school. This could end up being a good or bad thing.
TO make matters more interesting, our school was hosting and English Camp Sleepover at our school. All of the English teachers [with the exception of Tia, KT, and I] had to spend the night at our school with the children. The only reason I was off the hook was that Sue, our SUPERvisor, said I could make breakfast. Since me coming to Korea, I have begun to break free in the kitchen arena. Mind you, most of the time I have no eartly idea what I'm doing, but Im starting to experiment. My favorite thing to cook is breakfast [thanks to Big Al]. On Saturday, I told the teachers I was going to serve them pancakes [cafe blueberry/ balsamic choco banana], fruit, french press, and juice. When I got home, I started my normal routine of just relaxing and settling in before I started the massive cookoff.

Its so nice to have a long ethernet cord. I skyped with Tonita while I cooked pancakes. Nice to have someone "in the trenches" with you while you cook. I must have cooked between 30-40 pancakes that evening. No worries. Brianna gave them her seal of approval.

Christian and Kris came over that night from Daejeon to spend the night and spend the next waking moments with me. Little did I know that we would have so much fun together and stay up til about 4 in the morning. We had a blast playing card games and watching modern family. Just good to be around family friends once again.
THe next morning, Saturday, I had to hot foot it to school [with 3 hours sleep under my belt] and leave Christian and Kris asleep in the bed.

I was surprised to see all of the teachers who stayed overnight at the school to be fairly chipper. The pancake breakfast went over well and I was pleased to see them indulge and not leave a crumb behind. There is nothing worse then bringing home leftovers >.<
We all cleaned our share of the office and rushed up to our stations in the "American Village." Different parts of the Korean Kindie were divided into numerous stations that are in America: telephone, supermarket, airport, hospital, etc. I was teamed up with Brianna to conquer all that is the supermarket. For some reason, my body decided it was best that I lose my voice fairly early in the day and that for the remainder of the presentations at the supermarket- I would sound like a 85 year old smoker. Bliss.

Once the camp ended and we pushed the kids back to their parents, it was off to venture at CARRIBEAN BAY [the largest water park in Korea].

1 comment:

  1. Josh! Your pancakes sounded sooo good. Thank you for making me crave pancakes...haha. No, really.

    ReplyDelete