Thursday, April 29, 2010

Halle Berry's Sister


The weekend weather was sunny and a tad bit nippy [not altogether bad wetaher to have for my first weekend in SoKo]. KT's birthday bash was this weekend but I already had commitments to my alumni board. I was incredibly greatful that the board was willing to keep me on as a director given my distance geographically. The wonders of Skype. The meeting recapped a lot of the business that has happened on the campus since our last meeting via teleconference. Our school has been enduring many financial hardships and are continuing to fight them. We were informed of some leadership opportunities among other things. I felt like I was right there in the mix [the cherry kind]. The meeting lasted a good three hours but it did not interrupt my daily routine of cooking breakfast and reading. Mom has become quite enamered with my breakfast tastes. All my life, I had been the one to eat cereal in the morning for the mere reason- it was cold. Now I am unbiased to cold or hot foods in the morning. I figure when you're living on your own, there is no room to be picky- unless seafood is involved.

By the time the phone conference was over. We hotfooted it out to Songtan to go shopping for a bit. I got a nice pair of clothes from this side street store while Rhonda "broke the bank" with all of her purchases. We also ran into one of her old friends, Pamela Perry [please insert the Halle Berry dance move]. She galavanted around the military town of Songtan with us. It was somewhat refreshing to run into Westerners that looked like me. Being the only face in the crowd everyday wears on you.

On Sunday, Rhonda let me accompany her to church. We had to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn to get there on time. Remind you, we have to rely on public transportation for everything. I have already had a bad experience with the transportation system over here already, so I was pretty much "in Rhonda's hands." We took about 3 connecting buses to get to olur final destination in Suwon. Her church is just developing and has about 60+ members. The majority of the congregation are westerners. Once I entered into the church, I must have been introduced to everyone and their brother. People back home say that our church "feels like home" because everyone is so welcoming and inviting. Now I am able to understand exactly what they mean. The praise and worship was exactly what I needed to lift my spirits. Truth be told, I had started to feel a tad homesick and doubting myself to last an entire year without my family and friends from the states.
Looking holistically at everything after church, I realized that relying only on myself to get through this phase will result in my own destruction.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are adjusting well! I'm so excited for all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got to read this and see my mention! Still, I must add that my last name is 'Parry'. :P

    We need to plan our next outing!

    ReplyDelete