Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Hard Welcome


This somewhat categorizes the remaining part of my first week here. Had to start summing things up to get caught up with present day stuff.
Throughout the remainder of the first week here, my sleep schedule has started to become more routine. The bad part about all of this is that my apartment smells like garbage. Not regular garbage- the ooze that seeps out of the garbage and all over your new shoes. I have managed to track the smell to my bathroom drain. This bathroom is weird in that The WHOLE room is the shower. There is a drain in the center of the bathroom that drains out all the water. So the OCD person living inside of me decided it would be best to combat the smell with an extra dose of bleach.

Ask me did it work. Negative.
My mother says it might be because we have a septic tank and the odor just travels upward and congregates to MY APARTMENT! I am going to ask my director if I can move into the apartment next to mine that doesnt have a smell like this one. My nose cannot take this for much longer.

While at school, during the morning hours, I have been observing the way Bri teachers her classes. Its refreshing to see someone so energetic and receptive to the kid's needs. She had never taught a day in her life before here so perhaps there is hope for me to improve. You would think the kids over here are so WELL BEHAVED given their ethnicity but that is not the case. They are like American kids through in through. So much so that when you bend over you might luck up and get a "butt grab" or a "butt dart." So the remedy for this is a good ol' smack of the hand and the fatherly-like glare. Ive started decorating my classroom to make it more kid-friendly. Unlike most teachers who started, I was able to get my hands on some classroom materials that previous teachers left behind. While I was putting up the calendar in my classroom, the chair slipped from underneath me and I took a hard tumble to the ground. What a great welome into the life of SoKo, right?

Starting next week I will start my full classload which challenges me to start floating around to other classes and teaching: Math, Science, Orda, Manners, and Physical Education [from 9:20-noon]
I can handle that.

The weather here has been cold for some odd reason. Christian told me that this has been a record low for April in the history of Korea. Im not a fan of the cold weather. Combine that with high winds and rain- bring on the illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment