Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fukouka. Dont cuss at me.


Fukuoka was our first impression of Japan – I’m late in posting this, because I was too anxious to post my Hiroshima photos. Our first impression: “So, this is what fresh air smells like?” Fukuoka is incredibly clean and the air is incredibly fresh – and as we later discovered, so is the rest of Japan. Now, I’m not saying, “It was fresh for being a city,” I’m saying, “it was like breathing mountain air whilst standing in the midst of an urban jungle.” We were in disbelief. A week before our trip to Japan, I met a man in the subway (I’ve forgotten how the topic arose), whom told us on a clear – that is, cloud-free – night in Tokyo, one can see stars in the night sky. At the time, I half-believed him – mostly because I’m gullible and I always give people the benefit of the doubt – but after visiting the major cities of Japan and not smelling or seeing any signs of smog, I can definitely sympathize. I was able to see a star or two in Tokyo’s night sky, and after seeing the number of bikes in Fukuoka and the number of enviro-friendly cars trotting around Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Tokyo it’s evident why Japan’s air is so clean and fresh despite its immense population.

Sarah said it better

No comments:

Post a Comment